Simvastatin Side Effects
Generic Name: Zocor
Brand Name: Simvastatin
Consumer need to know
Applies to simvastatin: Oral
Simvastatin and its Side Effects
The benefits of using simvastatin are already proved but all effective medicines however have their side effects. The users should be informed about the clinical signs of simvastatin side effects and if they have any of them, they must contact the doctor.
The common known Simvastatin side effects are:
- muscles problems; unexplained muscle pain, lack of energy, weakness, myalgia.
- memory problems; memory loss, confusion, depression.
- fever, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, dryness, chills, stuffy nose, sore throat.
- anuria or oliguria, dark colored urine, pain or burning during urination.
- face, sensory organs, throat or ankles edema, flushing, hoarseness.
- hair loss, weight loss, loss of appetite, anxiousness, drowsiness, numbness, tingling, involuntary quivering, itching, dry mouth and skin, blurred vision, neuropathy of the extremities.
- jaundice (yellowing of skin), sun sensitive skin, large purple or brown blotches, skin rash, eczema, hives, toxic epidermal necrolysis, LED, blisters.
- constipation, stomach cramps, burning stomach, flu, indigestion, cough, allergic reaction, flatulence.
- difficult breathing (dyspnea), bronchitis or other lung problems.
- liver failure, arthritis, pancreatitis, heart throbbing, cataracts, hepatitis.
- headache, joint pain, sleeping problems.
Simvastatin side effects in organs and systems
In muscle and skeleton simvastatin side effects are related to the impact it has on elevating the enzymes such as creatine kinase and transaminases. Sometimes they can be increase enough to cause pathological conditions. For example, 5% - 7% of patients taking a statin drug have myalgia.
Liver is the most affected organ by medicines so liver function tests should be closely monitored. Simvastatin side effects include fatty changes in liver and other worsening hepatic failure.
Gastrointestinal side effects make the majority of simvastatin side effects.
Blood is also affected by simvastatin side effects, as HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors impact to figured elements of the blood (RBC, WBC, PLT).
There are also reported cases of nervous system effects related to simvastatin use. Most of them are headaches but are also included tremor, memory loss, etc.
Urinary screening has made possible the detection of renal side effect using simvastatin (myoglobinuria).
The only cardiovascular side effect reported is angina pectoris but simvastatin use has led to lower mortality.
Skin results affected too. Those dermatologic side effects emerge in a spotty skin in most of the cases.
Simvastatin can cause hypersensitivity and immunologic side effects too (including depression, anxiety, libido, insomnia).
Reproduction system may be affected or damaged too. These include inability to have an erection, testicular pain, etc.
Different adenomas and carcinomas are related to simvastatin use.